Beihai Park is one of the oldest and most preserved royal gardens in China. It has a history of nearly 1,000 years. The development of the Beihai Garden began in the Liao Dynasty, and the Jin Dynasty built the magnificent Taining Palace in the 19th year of the Ding Dynasty (1179) on the basis of the Liao Dynasty s founding. The Taihu stone in the Jinggenyue Imperial Garden of the Northern Song Dynasty was moved to Qionghua Island. In the fourth year of the Yuan Dynasty (1267), Kublai Khan , the ancestor of the Yuan Dynasty, built the capital with Qionghua Island in Taining Palace as the center. Qionghua Island and its lakes were classified into the Imperial City, named Wanshou Mountain and Taiye Pond. In the eighteenth year of Yongle (1420), the Ming Dynasty officially moved its capital to Beijing. Wanshoushan and Taiyechi became the imperial garden to the west of the Forbidden City. The Qing Dynasty inherited the West Garden of the Ming Dynasty, and the large-scale reconstruction of th e Beihai during the Qianlong period laid the scale and pattern for the future. The park covers an area of 68 hectares (including 39 hectares of water), and is mainly composed of the scenic spots of Qionghua Island, East Bank and North Bank . It inherits the gardening traditions of all Chinese dynasties, boasting the talents of gardening craftsmen from all parts of the country, combining the magnificence of northern gardens and the graceful charm of private gardens in the south of the river. Somber, meteorological and seamless, is the treasure of Chinese garden art.